Did you know that fires can start and spread within seconds, giving everyone in the home about two minutes to evacuate? During these two minutes, having a thought-out fire escape plan will allow for maximum efficiency and help everyone get out as quickly and safely as possible.
In Azusa, CA where it is quite dry, house fires are common, especially considering the forest fires that occur at the end of every summer. With such dry conditions, the smallest spark can light up all combustible materials around it as it rages towards susceptible homes and buildings.
While there is nothing we can do to stop Mother Nature, there are steps you can take to limit the risk of fires in your home. Many of them include removing fire hazards, including overloaded circuits, overheated appliances, leaving the kitchen with the stove or oven on, and much more.
Follow these fire safety tips to protect your loved ones from a fire disaster:
- Inspect all home appliances
- Inspect all wiring in the home
- Clean, maintain and inspect the fireplace for any creosote buildup
- Always stay mindful of a burning stove when cooking
- Only smoke outside
- Keep the home pet-proof
- Create and memorize a fire escape plan
- Keep the dryer clear of all lint buildup, remove it from the filter after each load of laundry
- Change the batteries of all smoke alarms at least twice a year
- If you have burning candles, never leave them unsupervised
Inspect and install smoke alarms
It’s crucial to ensure all smoke alarms are properly installed and are running with fresh batteries. You should test and change the batteries every six months to keep them working properly. Teach kids to recognize the sound when they go off and to evacuate right away. Replace all smoke alarms in the house every 8 – 10 years and never disable a smoke alarm when cooking.
Create and memorize a fire safety plan
Knowing exactly what to do during a fire is the key to keep everyone safe in the home, especially when you’re not there. There should be two ways to get out of each room, including the windows as screens and security bars can be removed from the inside. It is also recommended to practice feeling your way out of the home in case smoke has filled the room or the fire damaged the home’s electricity.
Inspect the dryer
The dryer can be the cause of a house fire, which is why it’s important to remove the lint after every load. Don’t forget to check behind the dryer to remove any fallen clothing or extra lint. The dryer duct material should be installed properly. Always keep a smoke alarm in the laundry room, just in case anything happens and never leave the home with the dryer running.
Inspect home appliances
Before using any of your appliances, be sure to clean and inspect them before turning them on, checking all wiring for damaged cords, outlets, or circuits. If anything has been damaged or broken, replace or fix it as soon as possible. Lastly, don’t forget to inspect the vent hoods above the stove to make sure nothing is blocking it when blowing out air.
Pet-proof the home
Homes with pets are at a higher risk for home fires because they can accidentally spark a fire when you’re not home by turning on the stove or another appliance. Puppies and exotic pets like ferrets, turtles, guinea pigs, hamsters, etc. should remain in a crate when you leave. Their cages should also be kept away from any electrical appliances, wiring, and cords.
If pets urinate or chew on any electrical or flammable materials, scold them. Any stove handles at waist-level are always reachable for pets, which can be disastrous if they turn them on accidentally. Also, keep a sticker outside your front window to notify firefighters of your pets in case of an emergency when you’re not home.
Always keep a leash by your front door to easily access it during an emergency. All dogs should also be trained to come when called.
Prevent fires during the holidays
Be sure to follow all cooking safety tips and to fry food outside, if desired. Don’t forget to blow out all the candles after family events. Always be careful not to overload the circuits with holiday lights. Also don’t forget to turn off any Christmas tree lights before going to bed or leaving the house.
Only smoke outside
Make sure all lighters are out of reach of small children. Extinguish cigar and cigarette butts under running water or in an ash tray before throwing them away. Never smoke on the grass; keep it over the concrete, such as your driveway or in your garage.
Fire Damage Restoration
In the Azusa, CA area, forest fires are especially prevalent; however, there are a number of manmade causes that can easily spark a fire. When a fire does happen, be sure to evacuate everyone immediately, follow your fire escape plan, and call the fire department.
After the flames are fully extinguished, don’t hesitate to contact ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell for emergency fire damage restoration. Our professionals are available 24/7 to respond and secure the property from further damage as well as save at-risk items and building materials from permanent fire and smoke damage.
Using professional cleaning products to remove all soot residue and replacing charred building materials, we can restore both your home and peace of mind after a fire. We will also work with your insurance claims adjuster to make the process smoother for you.
ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell proudly serves the Azusa, CA area with professional fire and smoke damage restoration services. Give us a call at (866) 808-9700 for emergency services.