Having hot water in your home is important which makes water heaters a necessity. Water heaters are large appliances that can function for many years, but they may still experience issues from time to time, especially if they are not properly maintained. The most common problem with water heaters is leaks which can happen due to issues like loose connections and broken valves.
Leaks in the water heater can cause major damage because these appliances hold a lot of water. The longer the leak continues, the more water will leak out of the water heater and damage the surrounding area. A repair professional is needed to repair the damage to the water heater, and you need to call a restoration professional to deal with the water damage.
At ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell, we provide water damage cleanup for leaking water heaters in Los Angeles County, CA. Our technicians have the proper equipment to remove the water that leaked from the water heater and restore the damaged materials. It is important to call us right away to stop the water from spreading and limit the damage.
Leaks from the Water Heater
Depending on the size of your water heater, it may be holding anywhere between 20 and 120 gallons of water. This is how much water could leak into your home if you do not take immediate action to stop the leak. You should check your water heater for leaks on a regular basis so you can stop them before they cause significant damage.
The following steps will help you stop a water heater leak:
- Turn off water supply: The first thing you need to do is turn off the water supply to stop the leak. You can do this from the water heater itself but if the shut off valve is damaged, you will need to shut off the water in your home from the main shutoff valve.
- Turn off power supply: Whether you have a gas or electric water heater, you need to shut off the power source. For gas water heaters, turn off the gas with the dedicated gas shut off valve and for electric water heaters, shut off the circuit breaker that powers the heater.
- Check for the leak: Inspect all of the parts of the water heater for a leak including the drain valve, pressure relief valve, bottom of the water heater, and inlet and outlet fittings and connections.
- Soak up water: Use towels and a mop to soak up water from small leaks. Large leaks that result in property damage must be dealt with by a restoration professional.
Leaking Water Heater Cleanup
When a water heater leaks, water that gets out gets absorbed in the surrounding flooring, wood, drywall, and foundation. This can lead to serious damage to the affected materials and increase the risk of mold growth.
Our water damage restoration professionals can completely remove water that leaked from the water heater and restore the resulting damage. We use advanced water extraction and drying equipment that will ensure that all excess water and moisture is removed from the affected areas.
Our water damage cleanup process includes the following:
- Location of the leak
- Containment of the water to prevent further damage
- Water extraction and drying
- Mold removal if necessary
Call ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell
If you notice that your water heater is leaking, follow the steps above to stop the leak and call the right professionals. Our professionals at ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell can provide effective water damage cleanup for water heater leaks to help prevent extensive damage and mold growth on your property. You can call us at (626) 963-4048 for leaking water heater damage cleanup in Los Angeles County, CA.
ServiceMaster by T.A. Russell serves the homes and businesses in Azusa, Pasadena, Glendale, Claremont, Alhambra, Burbank, Arcadia, Diamond Bar, and the surrounding areas of Los Angeles County, CA.